The Duty Manager (DM) is an escalation role designed to help facilitate effective communication and drive successful completion of support cases involving customer satisfaction issues. The role involves fielding customer escalations, understanding the customer concerns and communicating effectively with internal and external customers while taking an active lead in resolving the situation.
The role requires working closely with the Engineering & Support team members who are actively working the case as well as coordinating with internal teams and vendors (FedEx, UPS, etc.) who contribute to an improved customer experience. An escalation duty manager also acts as a primary point of contact for the L1/L2 team for questions around process and procedures associated with case work. The escalation duty manager therefor must effectively coach and guide team members who need help.
- Field customer satisfaction issues (ex. service complaints or escalations) raised via email and phone originating from End Users, Partners and Internal customers (Ex. Sales, Service & Executive Management)
- Within 15 minutes of request, reach out directly to the escalation originator by phone to confirm you have received the escalation request and will be contacting appropriate parties to understand the situation. Set expectation on when you will follow up with them initially and subsequently thereafter (i.e. every hour, couple hours, etc. depending on severity of issue). Make sure escalation requestor is OK with communication cadence.
- Responsible for documenting the escalation in ticketing platform and logging any complaints or quality defects that contributed to the escalation.
- Reach out and contact the end-user (via partner) who is involved with the source of the escalation to listen to any issues that they are having with the ticket and service. Define the issue(s) from Voice-Of-Customer (VOC) exercise.
- Understand and triage the customer satisfaction issue (read case comments, email communications, interview support or internal team members supporting the case)
- Define appropriate path forward to resolve the escalation. This may involve working with the support team member, vendors, partners, sales, service delivery, operations.
- If technical escalation is requested, follow Engineering escalation process
- Communicate action plans to all parties using the standard escalations form
- Drive escalated cases back on track and de-escalate as fast as possible.
- Document and ensure smooth transfer of escalations from shift-to-shift DM
- Communicate regularly with all parties that have been involved with the initial escalation/complaint.
- Drive communication on P1/P2, Major Incidents, and Customer Impact tickets and push to closure as fast as possible
- Monitor and guide Heightened Awareness escalations to confirm they are on the right track
- Available by phone “off shift” if needed to explain additional background
- Support Root Cause analysis (RCA) for Service Delivery misses.
- Support Quality Audits of Closed Cases
- Participate in Service Event Reviews (Postmortems) as needed.
- Guide and Coach the L1/L2 team on shift, as needed, to ensure that their questions are answered, and they are effectively following the case management process
- Provide performance feedback of L1/L2 team to NOC Manager (i.e. success factors)
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day shift activities of the team, including scheduling, team assignments, and callouts. (as-needed)
- Openness to adapt role and responsibilities to current business dynamics and landscape.
- Background in Networking / Storage / Server Hardware.
- Willingness to adapt schedule to support global customers 24/7.
- 2+ years of customer service experience.
- Strong customer service mindset / Customer advocate
- Thoughtful / Empathetic listener
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to distill complex situations into a structured plan of attack
- Facilitation and influencing skills
- Results driven
- Accountable - takes the responsibility for decisions and actions
- Ability to stay organized with multiple tasks
- Ability to think on feet
- Clear communicator
- Self-starter / Self-motivated